Colour the World Orange for CRPS Awareness
2nd November 2018
By Hunter Pain Clinic
Worldwide, November is recognised as CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) Awareness Month, and Monday 5th November is “Colour the World Orange” Day 2018 – a day to raise awareness for CRPS / RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy). All around the world, landmarks will light up or be decorated with orange.
CRPS is a devastating and distressing chronic pain condition. Most cases of CRPS develop in a limb after an injury or trauma. Many patients describe it as a severe burning type pain. The pain is accompanied by various “strange” symptoms, including changes in skin temperature and/or colour, increased skin sensitivity, sweating and/or swelling of the affected limb.
CRPS is often poorly treated, which is largely because of the general lack of knowledge of the condition, slow diagnosis, and our limited understanding of what causes it. Physicians and researchers around the world are investigating CRPS, trying to uncover exactly what is going on and exactly what is causing it, with hopes to develop new therapies and specialised treatment plans for people living with CRPS.
To help raise awareness, we will be wearing orange on Monday November 5th, and invite you to do the same! Online, you can help spread the word by posting on social media or sharing posts about CRPS and “Colour the World Orange Day” (use the hashtag #CRPSORANGEDAY).
References & Supporting Websites:
- Australian Pain Management Association. “Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)”: https://www.painmanagement.org.au/2014-09-11-13-34-03/2014-09-11-13-35-16/114-complex-regional-pain-syndrome.html
- Burning Nights CRPS: https://www.burningnightscrps.org
- Chronic Pain Australia. “CRPS”: http://www.chronicpainaustralia.org.au/crps-main
- Color the World Orange for CRPS / RSD Awareness: https://www.colortheworldorange.com/
- National Institute of Health. “Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Fact Sheet”: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Complex-Regional-Pain-Syndrome-Fact-Sheet
- PainAustralia. “Complex Regional Pain Syndrome”: https://www.painaustralia.org.au/about-pain/forms-of-pain/complex-regional-pain-syndrome
- Palmer G. “Complex regional pain syndrome”. Australian Prescriber 2015; 38: 82-86: https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/complex-regional-pain-syndrome
- The Purple Bucket Foundation: https://www.tpbf.org.au/